Smart Devices To Help Protect Your Home While You’re Away
In this technologically advanced era that we live in, coupled with the ever-rising cases of insecurity throughout the world, the need for home security has become a necessity for most people to feel safe and secure in their homes. Home security and protection are no longer reserved for the affluent and wealthy within our society but available for everyone.
Let’s look at a few devices that exist today and review how they can improve home security and protection. Some of these devices may be employed to automatically prevent damage from water, fire, or even appliances when you are away from home.
Home Security and Protection Devices
1) Motion-Activated Security Lights
These are pretty handy devices that can be used in every home to provide illumination and security for your residence while you are away. The technology behind them is not very complicated. A motion sensor is installed and attached to a bulb. The sensor uses infrared technology. When the sensor detects an object moving in front of it, especially warm bodies like animals or people, the bulb automatically lights up.
Here are some popular models and brands that you can buy that are a relatively inexpensive way to improve safety.
- LeonLite: This is a brand of motion-activated security lights with the capability of sensing motion from over 70 feet away. It also has the capacity to produce 1,800 lumens.
- Baxia Technology: This brand is one of the best brands in the market for weatherproofing. It is solar-powered, thereby economic when it comes to power consumption.
2) Leak Protection Devices
These are system monitors installed on a plumbing system, especially on the pipes that monitor water flow through the lines. When abnormal behavior is detected, say, burst water pipes, pin-drop leakages, or excess flow of water beyond a pre-set limit, the devices automatically shut off the flow of water. They can also alert you via text message that a leak has occurred and cut off the water.
Here are some notable water leakage detection brands available in the market:
- Flume smart home water monitoring system: This model is easy and quick to install. It takes about five minutes to have it installed and functioning. Upon detection of a leak, you will receive notifications on your phone. The leak detection can potentially reduce water bills and reduce the waste of water.
- Basement Watchdog high water alarm: This model comes with up to five years of battery life. It has a prolonged alarm for up to three days to alert you of any leaks., This brand also detects moisture to prevent mold growth.
- Vivint water sensor: This brand has the ability to monitor dangerous room temperatures to avoid burst pipes. It also has the capability to send mobile alerts if the sensor isn’t working correctly.
3) Smart Door Locks
These are electromechanical locks that are designed to perform locking and unlocking functions on a door. This occurs when a series of instructions from an authorized device is sent to the lock using a wireless connection or Bluetooth. They can also monitor and send alerts to your mobile device in the event of tampering or intruder access.
Smart locks offer several advantages:
- If you lose your keys, you may not be able to access your home. However, with smart locks, you do not need to walk around with a bunch of keys.
- You can also connect your smart locks to other devices using the same wireless configuration. This allows you to control your smart locks using your voice.
Some notable brands of smart locks include:
- August Wi-Fi Smart Lock: Enables you to lock and unlock your door remotely.
- Kwikset Halo Fingerprint Smart Lock: Uses the latest fingerprint technology to unlock and lock your door.
4) Smart Cameras
Smart cameras are a way to remotely monitor your home or family while you are away. Smart cameras are popular with parents who want to keep an eye on their children when they are away at work and for people that travel frequently.
How They Work
Smart cameras are generally wireless devices. This means they work predominantly with the use of a wireless connection. They do more than capture images and record footage, though. They help keep an eye on the status of your house, even when you are miles away.
Here are some notable smart camera brands:
- Arlo Pro 4: This brand is wire-free and has a 2k resolution
- Wyze Cam V3: This brand is wired, and it is also quite affordable
5) Smart Lights and Switches
Everyone knows it’s a good idea to leave a light on when you’re not to give the appearance that you ARE at home. However, you no longer need to leave the lights on an entire day. Instead, you have the option of using smart bulbs and smart switches, which you will be turned on via a timer or through your smartphone.
The following are some notable brands of smart bulbs and/or switches.
- Leviton Decora: Choose from smart Wifi dimmers, switches, and plug-ins to enable you to control appliances and lights from anywhere.
- Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance Starter Kit: These are compatible with Alexa and Google Assistant.
As a bonus smart device, consider getting a smart smoke detector, such as the Nest Protect Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Alarm, which will send alerts to your smartphone if smoke is detected.
Smart home devices have become part of our day-to-day lives. They present a convenient and efficient way to keep our homes safe, secure, and clean, making our lives easier.
The even better news is that smart home devices have also been favored by insurance companies, especially in their ability to reduce claims due to damages that occur at home to things like water damage.