Understanding the Value of Flood Protection
August 28th, 2012 by admin
I know we’ve been over this before, but with the recent rainy days we thought it’s a good time to remind you.
CONSIDER THESE FACTS:
- Floods are the nation’s #1 natural disaster.
- About 25% of all paid claims are from low-to-moderate risk areas, yet most residents in these areas do not have flood insurance.
- In high-risk areas, there is a 25% chance of flooding over a 30-year mortgage while only a 10% chance of fire.
- Federal Disaster Assistance is only available if the flood area is declared a Federal Disaster by the president, and comes in the form of a loan that must be repaid. In contrast, the average flood policy costs less that $570 per year and a preferred risk policy can cost as little as $119 per year.
- Homes and businesses with mortgages from federally regulated or insured lenders in high-risk flood areas are required to have flood insurance.
- High risk zone areas are not the only areas at risk for flooding. Nearly a quarter of all paid claims come from low-to-moderate risk areas. Though flood insurance is not required in moderate to low-risk flood areas, it is stillr recommended.
Basic homeowners insurance and most commercial policies do not protect you against flood damage.
Fortunately, you can buy protection. Flood insurance is financially backed by the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and is avaliable through us.
Federal flood insurance protects your buildings and contents from damage caused by rising water associated with flooding. Coverage includes:
- Structural elemnts, including walls, floors, equipment and fixtures.
- Contents, such as furniture, appliances, carpeting andwalla and floor coverings.
- Personal items like clothing, audio equipment and televisions.
Despite these facts, many Americans don’t fully understand their exposure to flood risks and are also unaware that flood damage is not covered by their homeowners insurance.
Call us today. It’s a protection you can’t be without.